Wednesday, June 10, 2015

June Gardens

Gardening in June is one of my favorite times of the year. The worst of the spring weather is gone, all the leaves are bright and brilliant shades of green, usually nothing has failed yet, and the bugs don't get hungry til dusk.

When I walked around today, wondering what new plants I would see, I anticipated the continued bounty of the peonies and poppies, as well as the resilient display of lupines.  However, there were also a few other new blooms to check out. The yellow lysimachia (loosestrife) is in full bloom. Although this is not one of my favorite plants as it tends to spread too much, it is one hardy mass of yellow flowers, which would be great to put in a higher traffic area as they can take a little more abuse. Another beautiful, delicate yellow flower is the Trollius or globeflower plants. I think the ones pictured are in the New Moon series, but I'm not positive. They almost look like pale yellow roses mixed in with the geranium. They are very hardy and hopefully will act like the other trollius, Golden Queen, which self seeded as well as being easy to divide in the fall.


Other new blooms today include  knautia. It used to be all dark red knautia, but it seems to be reverting back to a paler magenta on some plants. Knautia is easy to grow, self-seeds, but not obnoxiously and if spent blooms are removed will continue to bloom through til frost.  There is also a really nice light pink poppy that is blooming for the first time this year.  The flag iris are still coming along with the pale lavender joining in this week. The bearded iris, including my favorites, Hello Darkness and Lady Friend continue to bloom this week. The yellow Siberian flag iris is just starting to bloom after I pulled the whole gigantic clump apart, not last fall, but the fall before that. Much healthier and happier now.  The Japanese iris will be along later.

Up in the vegetable garden- the first strawberry of the year is almost ready. If the deer, birds or other critters don't get to them first I should have enough to freeze this year.  I have albino strawberries planted as well, which I am looking forward to trying out. 

Today's Photos



No comments:

Post a Comment