Sunday, June 7, 2015

Eye Popping Poppies

This morning, when I headed off to class, I noticed that a couple of poppies had finally bloomed. By the time I came home- close to a dozen, bright orange poppies were waving in the breeze.


I'm enjoying the various lupines this year, simply beautiful. The blue flag irises are gorgeous, but really, really need to be divided. Good intentions did not result in any action last fall or this spring. The first 2 varieties of day lily have started to bloom. I think the one pictured in this album is an Olallie Eastern Sunburst... or something along those lines. I have another blooming- but will have to find my day lily map to give it a name. It came from the Hudson Valley Sale years ago.

A few peonies are beginning to open, aside from the now spent tree peonies. The intersectionals look great and I can't wait to see the buds open- probably later this week.

This delicate shade loving thalactrim is new this year.
I have several others- but this one came from Cady Falls last year. It loves the shade, grows to be 3-5 feet, as far as I can tell. The sun loving thalactrim plants in other parts of the garden are already taller than I am, with big thick stems. They are merrily self seeding all over the place, but I really like them anyway.

What else was new today... the splish splash geranium (white with blue splash), the other pink geranium- cannot remember the variety, but the leaves are variegated. The burnet is starting to bloom. This variety seems to have attracted a spider web, but is about 12-18 inches high,  with pink bloom.  The blue-eyed grass is blooming, the dunce cap sedum-like plant is happily making dunce caps and the blue star, amsonia blue ice looks great. I divided it up last year and have a bunch of small ones here and there as well, but they are not blooming.

Check back soon for peonies!

Today's Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment